Sunday, June 14, 2009

Going to NECC



Soon I will fly off to my first technology conference. I have the honor of going to Washington DC (also a first...) for a week of priceless learning and connections.

There are so many choices for sessions to sign up for. I have to say I have lost some sleep trying to figure out a direction. Since I am a special education teacher I am involved in every curricular area. I would like to find sessions to meet each area. Of course, the techie side of me would like to have some enrichment! I have tried to make every minute count. I have a feeling I will be dead on my feet. I am looking forward to a capitol hill visit with many other educators. I am scheduled to visit the office of U.S. Senator Mike Johanns. Unfortunately, he will be back here in Nebraska on business...I am sure his staff will be just as informative. At the end of the week I would like to tour other sites. The Holocaust Museum is tops on my list.

I have to mention that one of the best things happening during my week in DC will be meeting members of my PLN (Professional Learning Network) from Twitter and Plurk. I have officially registered for a "Tweetup" on Monday night. I am pretty sure there is a "Plurkup" planned as well...How amazing to meet many of the people who have become colleagues via the internet!

Here is my tentative itinerary for the conference:
Saturday
-Edublogger Seminar
-DEN (Discovery Educator Network) Preconference Event

Sunday
-21st Century Technology Leader Forum (sitting on panel)
-Opening Reception

Monday
-Capitol Hill visit prep. session
-Chalk House: 3D game for Building Literacy in Middle School
-Spreadsheets for Math
-Wonderful World of Wikis
-Leslie Fisher's Gadget Class
-Strategies for Using Blogs and Wikids with SPED students
-Video Podcasting
-Comic Life
-iTouch and iPhones for teaching and learning
-Technology in Afterschool Programs

Wednesday
-Essential Technology Tools for Struggling Learners
-Personal Learning Networks in Second Life
-Technology Velcro-Tools that make education stick
-Beyond Blogging - WordPress
-Promethean Board Teacher Tips
-Integrating Technology into Science
-After-School Technology Enrichment Program
-Moving Mainstream Technologies into the Classroom
-LOL @ NECC
-Do so Much with an iPod Touch
-Closing Keynote

I will most likely be blogging, Tweeting, and Plurking along the way. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Lori,
THAT is an ambitious schedule! I hope that I get to do half of what you have planned! Enjoy your first conference... wear comfy shoes and drink plenty of water..
Print out your contact info on address lables to give away or make business cards on your computer... have fun and I am looking forward to meeting you as well! Patt (yoyosciteach)

Barb Gilman said...

I'm SO excited for you and look forward to your tweets and plurks as it will keep me in the loop. Have a great time!

woodenmask said...

Leslie Fisher's presentations are always fantastic! If she does her digital photography session this year, do whatever you have to do to get into it.

Also, be extremely flexible about which sessions you go to. Last year in San Antonio, the lines to get into various sessions started forming 45 minutes to an hour ahead of time. You might only be able to get into every other session, so you might want to meet up with people from your PLN during the off times.

Make sure you leave several hours over a couple of days to thoroughly check out the venders. That alone is mind-boggling.

Good luck! You should have a great conference!