Sunday, December 14, 2008

Shall we Wii?

Okay, now that I have your attention...
What does a teacher do when she is sick and not at school? After heading to the doctor and getting a prescription, she heads to the drug store. While waiting for the prescription to be filled there is ample opportunity to see what's new.

Pictured is my latest find. I bought a wireless game. Yes, it is similar to a Wii...but the price does not have as many spaces on the place value chart (very teacher-like comment, huh?).

My plan for this system you ask? Um, well, at the time I did not really think past the cool factor. I base out of the "resource room" at our school which is like a study hall for students with various academic, physical, or emotional disabilities. Kids were VERY excited to see what it could do. As soon as the first game loaded I knew I would need a plan for use. At this point I am thinking of having sticker charts for positive reinforcement. I give daily grades on a 1-4 point basis for work effort. Maybe this would help?

No matter how they earn time I know it will be fun. I have already tested the system out on 2 students. They didn't want to leave school!
Here is a quick clip of one of the students bowling:


Let me know if you have any ideas for use. I am always open for new suggestions!

No comments: